Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Transportation

In case there are any doubts about the severity of the traffic in Bangalore, let me dispell them. Traffic here sucks.

I got a ride home yesterday with a coworker (Jeyandran) and we spent at least 15 minutes out of a 40 minute ride waiting in traffic with the engine switched off. I did almost the same commute this morning in a three-wheeler and it took less than 10 minutes. It's about 4 km away.

I have been trying hard to figure out how to get around Bangalore. A two wheeler seems so tempting until I think about inhaling all the bus and truck fumes and risking getting run over. In a four wheeler you don't inhale fumes but you're stuck in traffic for twice as long. I thought of cycling but then I be in the same traffic as the two and four wheelers but would be severely underpowered. I tried walking from home in the direction of our new office (haven't moved yet) but I don't think that'll be feasible. There's no direct bus from home to work; I'll have to change buses.

Any suggestions?

No comments: