Sunday, December 12, 2004

Making the world smaller

So I got this amazing email from a friend in response to my 'cheesy comment' about the world feeling smaller:


The world seems really really small. When I was little we used to have a specific time on Saturday mornings when my abuelita (grandma) in bolivia would be listening on a certain frequency on the ham radio and we would "call her" with the radio: "C P 6 D G, this is C P 6 D G, can you here me D C 3 P B? Hi abuelita how are you doing?" This was before there was a direct telephone line to Bolivia from the US and it wasn't until the beginning of the 1990s that it was cheap enough to actually use the phone to call Bolivia.

Now I'm reading about my friend's stomach ache on his blog in India and my dad emailing me everyday about what so-and-so said to so-and-so; Stuff that you wouldn't have wasted your short and expensive communication systems of the past.


I guess that makes this a reply to a comment about a post about comments about earlier posts. I've heard that that's not good blogging etiquette. Oh well.

No comments: