Thursday, December 09, 2004

Reply to comments

Thanks for leaving comments. It makes me feel loved. Thought I'd respond to some:

sn's comment about Indian Ingenuity: I went to the origianal MTR (Mavalli Tiffin Room) two nights ago. You may know MTR for its ready-to-cook packet mixes, but this place is the original. They have a thaali (mixed plate of food) for Rs. 75 and you can get as many dosas as you want. They give you like 3-4 rounds of sweets, 3-4 different types of rice... basically it's death by glutony. But I digress. I just wanted to point out that the original MTR restaurant has sinks with foot pedals.

In response to Amod's comment about me being brave by driving a car... I think it'd be much braver of me to drive a two wheeler here. For one, the buses here just barrel through the roads and barely move for cars, let alone two wheelers. Second, two-wheeler riders have a tendency to attempt to swerve through traffic a lot resulting in them having close calls with four-wheelers. Third, the traffic is pretty bad so when you're stuck at a traffic light, you end up standing for minutes at a time (I got stuck on my motorcycle in a traffic jam on my way from Seattle to Portland and I never want to do that again). Lastly, you're constantly exposed to all the fumes on the road and I don't think I could deal with that first thing in the morning and on my way home from work every day.

Jigna asked why I get my car washed every day . Because of the pollution, as well as the indian climate in general, there is a lot of dust in the air. So at the end of the day, the car is covered in a film of dust. Actually, it still doesn't look bad after one day. But after two days it looks pretty terrible. Plus, I justified buying a red car (red, like black, usually looks pretty bad when dirty) based on the fact that I'd be able to afford getting my car washed daily here.

This sounds cheesy but hearing from you guys definitely makes the world seem smaller.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

200 INR = 4.5 USD (today at least). that's pretty expensive for a daily car wash. then again, we're pretty cheap when it gets to getting the car washed (once every few months = $7).
Also, USD is not doing so well right now, so maybe that's why it seems so expensive :)